Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Our Journey Home


This last weekend we surprised my family in Oregon! What a blessing!

Our trip out was a blast! The surprise worked out amazingly! Both Hannah and Kimber were in tears, shaking and laughing hysterically, Chad was blown off his feet (Not literally), Lillian was excited, Mom was pleased, and Dad… Well he had a reaction that is one of a kind. He was sleeping and I woke him up when I got there. He thought he was having delirious dreams! It was really funny! The whole weekend was filled with joy and laughter!
On the way to the airport!

Hannah was amazing in her show! She is really becoming a star! She had to sing in a pretty voice, rather than a belting voice for this show and although it isn’t her favorite, she really is phenomenal at any style she tries. Watching her kiss a boy was a little weird for me, but I’ll have to get used to that, because she is going places! Kissing boys comes with the territory. 

Our plane to PHX
Although the trip was way exhausting, it was SO much fun! Let me tell you about it more than that small detail though. We started our Journey early on Friday morning; however, it seemed earlier than it was! I had been having trouble sleeping for the entire week for multiple reasons. I had been dreaming about being a detailer in one of the dealerships we cover, as well as dreams about my surprise going all wrong! So getting up before 6 on Friday was indeed a difficult task for me.


The plane ride was just like any other, long, boring and nauseating. We had a LONG layover in phoenix, but we had some lovely gelato during our wait.

Doing Hannah's Hair
The hilarious Emma
We arrived in a clouded over Portland around 3 pm. Meredith picked us up and was out “Taxi” driver for the day! She took us into Salem where I needed to stop at the eye doctor. (I broke mine on Thursday.  I needed to see if they could work me a deal.) She took us to the school, where mom and Hannah were, by route of River Road. The closer we got, the more I had fluttering in my stomach, and my hands started to shake! I was SO excited!
GMA and GPA Mabee

Upon arriving at the school we found Tina, the Janitor. We told her of our plan, and she gladly let us into the Auditorium. The door opened, and I was surprised to find out that the entire cast was on the stage getting notes from the night before. There was no turning back! Hannah’s eyes were drawn to the door as it opened. She jumped up and screamed and ran to me. I let her tackle me as her tears streamed down her face and her body shook with emotion! Meredith had my phone and recorded the whole thing! It is hilarious! Anyhow, Witt didn’t like that I interrupted and called Hannah back after not much time. Mom and watched the whole thing from the top of the room. She was glad to see us! Myles climbed the stairs to her and after Witt broke up Hannah and me, I followed him up there. She was glad to see us! She claims she “knew” we were coming because Myles isn’t sneaky about asking when the show is, but I think she just hoped we would come.

Our Star
Mom sent us to the house really quickly because she was afraid we were going to miss Kimber. She was right to send us, because when we drove up Kimber was sitting in the front room, looking out the window. She was waiting for Raymond to come get her and was confused when my mom’s car drove up. Realizing that someone had seen us, there was no delaying this one either! I hopped out of the car and jogged up the sidewalk toward the door. In the meantime, Kimber let out a blood curdling scream and came to the top of the steps, launching herself quite gracefully off the deck, and into my arms! She was balling and shaking just like Hannah did. She kept saying, “McKay! This is not a funny joke! This is not funny! Oh, McKay!” I’m not sure what she thought was a joke, but it was reality and we were really in the same place! Lillian and Chad came to see what the screaming was about and were just as shocked as everyone else! Lillian screamed at the top of the stairs and ran to us. Soon we had a group hug going because Chad got to the top of the steps and got the greatest look on his face! He said, “McKay? How are you here??” He ran down the stairs and hugged me as tight as he ever has! One of the best parts was that he had asked me the day before when we thought we might be coming next. I told him “For sure June. Hopefully sooner” It is great to feel loved!
Dad was home sick and taking a nap. He does a weird freak out, shaking, zombie thing whenever someone wakes him up in the first place, but as the noise from all the kids barging in filled his room it was especially bad. He started shaking before I even put my hand on his shoulder.though it isn' laughing histerically, Chad was b His eyes opening into tiny slivers. He looked really confused. Then his eye got huge and he said, “ARE YOU MCKAY?” Everyone was laughing hysterically at this point! I couldn’t answer him I was laughing so hard, so I just nodded my head yes… He let out a huge sigh, grabbed my head and slammed it into his shoulder. He was trying to give me a delirious hug. Heh heh!
We spent the next hour with those who were home. Dad even got up from his nap to make us some food! I was glad about that because the last time I ate real food was 5 am their time! I had a chicken burrito then…. At dinner time dad made us breakfast! Haha we had omelets. After dinner we rushed off to the high school to watch Hannah’s show! The whole show was great, but I am completely biased… she was the BEST part! She doesn’t like to sing in her “pretty” voice, but she is SO good. Anything she puts her mind to she will accomplish. We helped get everything put away afterward… 
Just like old times! I miss that!

At home we caught up with everyone and then went to bed. I never realized how crazy uncomfortable that bed I used to sleep on is! Holy Cow! With the exception of camping, I never felt so stiff in my life! Saturday felt as though it came way too early. I was already so tired, so that isn’t saying much… We spent some of the morning dying Hannah’s hair darker so her hair piece matched, and the rest of the morning we spent at La Perla with a family from Myles’ mission. They were so thrilled to see Myles it was cute!
We had a great time and some good eats, but before too long, we had to get back to the family so that we could spend time with my grandparents, who were coming to the show that afternoon by chance. They were excited to see us! We watched the show for a second time. It wasn’t as good as the night before, but still good.
We had some Frozone: Frozen Yogurt with the Grandparents. It was super delish. They couldn’t stay for long, they needed to get over the pass before it got too dark
Myles and I ran some errands for everyone and their dog, then made it back to the school before the last chance to see Hannah in her show. That performance was great! They all were! AH! Hannah is so much more talented than I am! In not so happy news, Lillian rolled her ankle when we got home. It swelled so fast! It was crazy!

Lillian got taken to Urgent care on Sunday morning because mom was concerned about some of the pain she was describing. I was getting updates most of the morning while we were in church. It was great to see everyone! Susan was ecstatic! I really do like her! The rest of Sunday was spent with family. We watched a movie, Hotel Transylvania is really cute, by the way. We cleaned, cooked, and ate together. Played some games. Ray and I fixed my computer. I was so glad to be home! Mom was so kind as to adjust both Myles, and Myself. That was so good. I don’t think I was off too horribly, but it was nice to get back on track.

Monday began at an early 3:30 am… Dad drove us to the airport and our return journey began.  This one was only slightly shorter, but it seemed much more so because I slept the whole time! We got into El Paso around 1:30 and unfortunately had to work. That was one LONG day.

All in all, we were SO glad to be there and to have been able to visit! I miss them so much! We had a fabulous time and we can’t wait to get there in June! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment